Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chili Blanco with Chicken

This is one of my go to white chili recipes. My mom would make this a lot when I was at home and I always loved it. Now I love making it for my own family! You can adapt this recipe to suit your tastes. I'll put some notes to the side regarding things that I have changed

Ingredients ( chicken marinade):

  • 1 lb chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbs oregano
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 medium jalapeno, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients (soup):
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped (I use 3 or 4)
  • 1 large leek, sliced
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped ( I use a red and an orange pepper instead)
  • 1 pablano pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbs oregano
  • 1 Tbs chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
  • 1 bottle light beer ( I use corona)
  • 2 cups chicken stock 
  • 1 16 oz can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed ( I use 2)
  • juice of one lime
  • plain yogurt
Method:
  • Make the marinade - combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and add cubed chicken. Let sit for a few minutes or longer in the refrigerator 
  • Heat oil in a large pot and add chicken. Saute for a few minutes until the chicken becomes opaque
  • Add additional oil and saute onion, celery, leek, bell peppers, cumin, oregano, pablano and chilies
  • Add beer, stock, and beans. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes
  • Add lime juice and salt
  • Serve with a spoonful of plain yogurt (or sour cream) on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment