Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A tribute to summer

 This will probably upset a lot of pro-fallers but I just don't care! Every year for as long as I can remember I have welcomed fall with open arms: crisp morning air and soft afternoon sun, crunching through leaves on afternoon walks, sweaters and leggings, soups, stews, and of course, pumpkin spice lattes ( Starbucks told me pumpkin spice is the true marker of fall so it must be true, right?). 

 For some reason this year I can't let go of the long, sweet summer days we enjoyed for the past couple of months.Making breakfast with the kitchen door wide open, playing in the dirt, splashing in the gutter on the days too hot and sweaty to do anything else, 1 or maybe 3 popsicles every day held in sticky little hands, shorts, tank tops, bare feet, picnics with friends, and late nights spent grilling and playing at the park. Summer days are so FULL, so endless, so timeless, and so fleeting. Not every day was wonderful but every day was good. Maybe it's because my babies are growing too fast and next summer they will all be another year older or maybe it's just because I'm not looking forward to the coming months of being indoors with small (very loud) children. Either way, I'm not ready to move on to fall, don't make me do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment